Wednesday 15 July 2015

Big Jig's Famous London Scenes




I'm just following up my two previous postings about the Good-Win 'Big Jig' puzzles. I've now finally tracked down all four of their markets of London 400 piece jigsaws issued in the 1950s as Series 5 thru 8 of FAMOUS LONDON SCENES.

Of course, numbers 6 and 7, Covent Garden and Billingsgate Markets, have both since moved from their nineteenth century buildings. In 1974, 'New' Covent Garden relocated to Nine Elms, and in 1982 the fish market was shunted further east along the Thames to its present home on the Isle of Dogs.

I know nothing about 'nevin' who painted the series - nor how popular the jigsaw puzzles were at the time. A previous owner had written 3/- in pencil on the back of one of the boxes.Perhaps that's what they paid for it at the time, when budget puzzles like these were so plentiful.

Billingsgate Market in Lower Thames Street at 8.25am, packed with porters and fish. The 1870s building is now an 'up-market' events venue...

5. Smithfield Market, looking towards St Bartholomew's Hospital. The Red Phone Box is still there...
6. Covent Garden, one for the tourists now...
7. Billingsgate. Note 'GOODWIN & CO' on the most prominent sign. A little plug for the publishers of the jigsaw!
8. Petticoat Lane - for more on this one, check my post in Feb 2015...




2 comments:

  1. I have a Good-Win jigsaw, Smithfield market. I have just completed the " over 400" piece Jigsaw. Would you like it? There are unfortunately 3 pieces missing. But I will happily post it too you for free if you would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, many thanks for reading my post on Big Jig jigsaws in 'After You've Gone'. Thank you for the kind offer. I have all four of the London Market puzzles, though not all complete. But my Smithfield one has all the pieces! I expect that Smithfield meat market will be moving quite soon now. Next stop appears to be Barking after trading meat and livestock in Smithfield since the 10th century! Cheers, Alan

    ReplyDelete