Tuesday 1 April 2014

It was a bright cold day in April (1 year on)



I started After You've Gone in April 2013 with the opening sentence in George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four. It is indeed a bright morning today, though not as cold as it was last year, and a year on, it feels right to mark the occasion with a return to the 1949 novel.

First published in 1949, this edition with the iconic Penguin Books cover dates from 1960
A cutting from The Daily Herald, Tuesday 14th June 1955 announcing the production at Elstree Studios of the first adaption of Nineteen Eighty-Four for the big screen

Ein Utopischer Roman, 1964 Diana-Reihe, Stuttgart

Collection Folio, |France June, 1983

Penguin Books, Reprinted 1967
The Control Room, Civil Defence Headquarters, by William Roberts, 1942

This was the front cover that I studied for weeks on end when I was given a school library copy of the book to read for the very first time by my English teacher. I dedicate this post to you, Mr Gordon.

Please take a look at my very first entry of After You've Gone for more classic covers of Nineteen Eighty-Four

No comments:

Post a Comment